Excellent, welcome! Here are some quick links that catch you up on what’s going on here. Have fun!
- What is PowerPivot – Introduction to what it’s all about.
- Top 5 PowerPivot Benefits for Excel pros – guest post on the official Microsoft Excel blog, explaining why PowerPivot will change the daily lives of Excel pros forever.
- And a followup post here on how PowerPivot makes your formulas “portable” for the first time. Part Two of that post is located here.
- Meet the Pros – Who are we and why this site?
- Download PowerPivot – Get PowerPivot for yourself (the Excel component is free, and there’s even a free trial of Excel 2010), plus tips on installing it
- Your First PowerPivot Workbook – Want a jumpstart? Grab the workbook that I created for my “temperature mashup demo.”
Case Studies and In-Depth Examples
- The Great Football Project – where I convert a pre-existing professionally-built BI database to PowerPivot.
- Temperature/Sales Mashup Demo – where I combine sales data with temperature statistics off of the web to do something truly unexpected.
- And part two is here
- Extranet Analytics Using PowerPivot – how Pivotstream uses PowerPivot to serve the retail, pharma, and consumer packaged goods industries.
- 48-Hour Case Study from Bing – one of my friends who works for Bing adopted PowerPivot for internal bug tracking in literally 48 hours.
The Great PowerPivot FAQ is a collaboration by members of Microsoft as well as some of the leading experts in the community.
If you’d like a jumpstart on maximizing the benefits of PowerPivot, one that takes a very “commonsense” and visual approach, this book is written specifically for the 30 million heavy users of Excel worldwide and aims to make your adoption/transition smooth and profitable.
Click the Image for More Info, Sample Pages, and Reviews
Observations and Trends
- Observations from PowerPivot Training and Consulting – some of my reactions from teaching other organizations how to optimally utilize PowerPivot, and their reactions.
- Why Training and Consulting Should Be Mixed – based on experience with clients, I explain why I think this is the best approach.
- Why traditional BI doesn’t deliver the “Intelligence” – and why PowerPivot does.
- SharePoint’s Emergence as Platform – top 5 list that caught me completely by surprise.
- PowerPivot’s impact on BI Pros – discussion amongst several BI professionals about whether PowerPivot means less or more opportunities for them.
- Forrester Top 10 – observations from a savvy analyst, and my take on how PowerPivot fits into those.
- Putting the “Intelligence” in Business Intelligence – how PowerPivot puts the human intellect back into the BI equation without compromising reliability.
- 1,300 Measures – Nightmare or Utopia? - A somewhat controversial example of what happens when the business users gain access to more powerful tools.