***
Update Oct 11, 2013:  I’ve been given the “all clear” by Microsoft and from readers that as of this week, Excel 2013 Standalone DOES include and successfully install Power Pivot!

See this post for details.

***

After a few readers of last week’s post reported that installing Standalone did NOT add Power Pivot and Power View, we followed up with my contacts at Microsoft.

Microsoft quickly tracked down a problem in the upgrade logic, and it will be fixed in the September 10th update (that gets automatically downloaded).  So hold tight until then.

37 Responses to ***UPDATE: Excel 2013 Standalone Will NOT Add Power Pivot/View Until September 10, 2013

1. Paul says:

Any idea if this applies globally? I’m in the UK and would like to know if this is the “fix” I’ve been waiting for. Still massively annoyed that Home and Business 2013 doesn’t contain the features of Home and Business 2010.

Also, how backward compatible are powerpivots between 2010 and 2013? Both those created in 2010 and modified in 2013 and vice versa.

2. Carsten B. says:

Any news on this?

3. Bruce Strachan says:

Tech Support said it won’t be in Sept update possibly October but they are working in it…

4. Chuck says:

There must be only 2 or 3 of us who bought Excel 2013 standalone, thinking it had PowerPivot included.
    - nobody seems to care very much. No news ANYWHERE that I can find.
    - – - Sure would appreciate any information anyone has as to when this might happen (didn’t seem to happen with the September 10th update.

5. Wiley T says:

I’ve been checking status but can’t find anything referencing it. Can’t find any way to force an update in Excel 2013.

6. Bob says:

still no powerpivot for Excel Standalone 2013

7. Daniel Dion says:

Just downloaded the Excel Standalone 2013 still no powerpivot

Yeah, there was some sort of setback on the rollout of the September 10 fix. My former colleagues have now made liars of me and other community pros several times on this one issue. Stay tuned. You will know something as soon as I do.

8. Martin says:

Any updates on when/if this is actually happening?

9. Cabby says:

If there are problems with the update, why isn’t it at least included in new downloads of the full package? Or isn’t there no click-to-run Excel/Office Version that has Excel with Powerpivot?

• Cabby says:

Ok, just seen the “retail” download is pretty big, almost 2Gb, I guess that could be part of the reason they will only want to change the full download when the update does work.

• Cabby says:

I was able to add Power Query and Power Map Preview to an Excel 2013 Retail stand-alone version, I think that was not possible before. Makes you wonder why it is so difficult to make Power Pivot available.

• Cabby says:

Mmh, Power Qery now also shows up in a Office 2010 Home and Student version that is installed on the same computer. Nice, but probably unintentional??

10. Jad Jebara says:

How did you access power query and Power map?
    I still can’t and I am on the latest version…

• Cabby says:

Not sure if you are still looking, but you have to download both from Microsoft. Both are only available for Excel 2013.

However, after having installed them on a machine that has Excel 2013 and Excel 2010 side-by-side, I could use Power Query in Excel 2013 AND also in Excel 2010.

Power Map has compability issues and apparently does not work in 2010.

11. Cabby says:

Installed today’s updates, but still no Power Pivot…

12. Wiley says:

Finally got Power Pivot to load today. I did have to do an online repair to get it. Thanks Rob for keeping us updated

13. gostam says:

New and improved add-ins and converters
    Power Pivot for Excel add-in
    If you’re using Office Professional Plus, the Power Pivot add-in comes installed with Excel. The Power Pivot data analysis engine is now built into Excel so that you can build simple data models directly in Excel. The Power Pivot add-in provides an environment for creating more sophisticated models. Use it to filter out data when importing it, define your own hierarchies, calculation fields, and key performance indicators (KPIs), and use the Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) language to create advanced formulas. Learn more about the Power Pivot in Excel 2013 add-in.

This is the information you get about Excel from Microsoft. Date 2013-10-21

14. Debbie says:

Hi:

I purchased Office 2013 Pro before I knew it did not have Power Pivot. Can the standalone version be loaded over my copy of Excel 2013 in office or could I have 2 copies of Excel 2013 on my computer? Microsoft says you have to have the volume licensing of the standalone version. I only need 1 copy of the software. They are not much help at Microsoft.

Your help is appreciated.

Standalone Excel 2013 CAN be installed “over the top” of 2013 Pro, and that WILL add Power Pivot. Confirmed now by multiple readers :)

• Debbie says:

Thanks for your prompt reply. So the standalone version does not need to be volume licensing? I can just go to Amazon, etc. and buy a single version and it will work?

Thanks again!

Correct. Does NOT have to be volume licensing. Amazon Standalone version works :)

• Debbie says:

Thanks again for the information. You made my day. I purchased a standalone version of Excel 2013 from Staples. I loaded it over my Office 2013 Professional. It worked. I am a happy camper.

15. john@yaho.com says:

Why doesn’t regular Office have it? Stupid.

16. Shorting_MSFT_Stock says:

I have Office Professional 2013 (with latest update 15.0.4551.1005) and do not see PowerPivot in the “COM Add-ins”. Does anyone know where I need to go to get the add in file? Is this still not available to Office Professional (not Professional Plus) users?

You need Excel Standalone installed over the top of Pro, OR you need Pro Plus. Regular Pro by itself will not have Power Pivot.

And yes, I agree that sucks. Getting Power Pivot “back” in Standalone was a step in the right direction for sure, but not as “correct” as it should be.

17. Allan says:

I have ProPlus (part of 365 Small Busimess Premium) with latest update (15.0.4551.1512) installed. Works fine on 1 Laptop but not available on other laptop or desktop. Have tried all suggested fixes (Regedit included) plus reinstalled on all 3, SNAFU??? Any ideas would be extremely appreciated. MS not helping.

Confused & frustrated Aussie.